17 January 2008

Bring orTake?


We got in the habit of having sweets during the morning breaktime.
Steve always bring some sweets from his house because his sharemates gives him sweets from the restrants where his friends works for.
We have such a relaxed breaktime everyday.

After class, Marhta, Tetsu and I studyed an classroom.
We discussed about difference between "take" and "bring".

We say,
My hostmother took me to Henley Beach by her car yesterday.
but we cannot say,
My hostmother brought me to Henley Beach by her car yesterday.

We say,
Bring whatever you like.
but we cannot say,
Ok, I will bring a bottle of wine.
we should say,
Ok, I will take a bottle of wine.

Bring has a meaning that is "to come to a place with sb/sth".
If you use bring, you must be the place where you mention
because you come the place not go the place.

Take has a meaning that is "to carry or move sth from one place to another".
It also has another meaning that is "to go with sb from one place to another".

Which word you use is depends on where you are and which person you are.
This is therefore why take is appropriate for this situation.
I heard from K it is one of many common mistakes by foreigner.

No comments: